Saturday, July 7, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Asian Cucumber and Red Onion Salad

This salad is one of those staples in our house. Sometimes I like to make some to enjoy as a snack but it's terrific to take to potlucks and BBQs. With the coolness of the cucumber and the tartness of the rice vinegar it helps break up the heavier foods. Plus since it has no mayo, it doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Asian Cucumber and Red Onion Salad

3 cucumbers
1/2 red onion
2/3 cup rice vinegar
2/3 cup simple syrup

Slice cucumbers and red onion into thin slices. I recommend using a mandoline to get them thin enough. Just watch your fingers. I don't think fingers would improve this salad.
Pour the rice vinegar and simple syrup over the cucumbers and red onion. Stir to combine. You might want it a little sweeter or a little more vinegar-y. Feel free to play with the liquid to get it right for you. I like to start off equal and add tbs of either until it's right for me.
Let salad sit for at least an hour before serving. The longer it sits the better the flavor will be.


Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

11 comments:

  1. How easy and cooling this is. I sure hope I can find cucumbers at the farmers' market this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't get any easier that that. And I love cucumbers and onions!
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to give this a go - sounds like just my sort of thing.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cucumber salads this time of year. This one looks terrific!
    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy. I got a mandolins for Christmas so I am ready to try this when I am home from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty sure fingers aren't that great for any salad! I do love my mandolin, but that thing is sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so simple and with this hot weather, a perfect side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds refreshing to me and light!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my absolute favorite summer salads! I like it with a bit of cilantro in it. Some hot pepper flakes to heat it up a bit or a dash of fish sauce if you're feeling adventurous.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.