Saturday, July 14, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Cold Soba Noodle Salad

Ignore the fact that people have been making soba noodle salads forever because mine is the bomb diggity.

One day I was trying to think up something for lunch that involved a package of sukiyaki meat.  I didn't want to make sukiyaki. I wanted something quick, so I "invented" this soba noodle salad.

Sukiyaki meat is thinly sliced beef, chicken or pork. I usually buy it at my local Asian market but I have seen suitably thinly sliced meat at the regular grocery store. I've also made this tofu instead of meat. It works well too.

I love this dish cause it can be prepared with what you have on hand. And it's fast.

This is my usual method.

Linda's Cold Soba Noodle Salad
(serves 3)

1lb of thinly sliced meat (sukiyaki preferably)
1 9.5oz package of soba (buckwheat) noodles
2 (or more) cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbs of grated fresh ginger
1/2 tbs (or more) Korean hot chili or cayenne pepper powder
2 tbs oil
sliced assorted veggies (I like cucumber, onion, carrots, peppers, water chestnuts, or radishes)

Boil water for noodles. Soba noodles only need to cook for 4 minutes so I save the boiling of the noodles to the end.
In a pan over medium heat, pour the oil. Add garlic, ginger, and chili powder. Stir so they will flavor the oil.
Be careful with the chili powder. Inhaling too much will hurt your throat and lungs. If it really bothers you add the chili after the meat has been added.
Once the garlic, ginger and chili powder are fragrant, add beef. Stir to coat the meat with oil, chili powder, garlic, and ginger. Flip meat until cooked.
While meat is cooking, slice up your preferred veggies. I always include onion (either regular or spring) and usually just one or two other veggies.
Once meat has cooked and noodles are done, rinse the noodles in cold water. I plate each portion separately, so I can make sure everyone gets an equal share of veggies. I layer the noodles first, then the veggies and top with meat.
We love this dressing I bought at the Asian Market:
I suppose you could whip up your own ginger dressing but I'm partial to this one.
I have made this for dinners, lunch. It's great any time. I've prepared it ahead of time and eaten cold the next day. Delicious!

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

5 comments:

  1. I love the variety of recipes that I find on Weekend Cooking posts, and I did not know about sukiyaki. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 lots of cold noodle dishes today - it must be fate I'll have to give it a go
    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second cold noodle dish today! I have never tried them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know, I don't think I've ever had soba noodles (unless they were included in a dish at an Asian restaurant, that is!). I do love a cold pasta/noodle salad, though. Just the thing for summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh this is the second soba noodle salad this weekend. And this one has meat in it. Yummmmm. Another one to add to my list.

    Sorry it took me so long to visit your post. I was out of town and didn't have Internet access.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.