Monday, December 29, 2014

Centaur Rising by Jane Yolen

I added Centaur Rising to my library hold list because I wanted to read more Yolen. After reading Centaur Rising, I want to read more Yolen. Yolen combines historical fiction and fantasy so beautifully. I enjoyed every minute of Centaur Rising.

Arianne's family lives on a horse farm. During a meteor shower, Arianne watches a ball of light come down and meet one of their ponies. About a year later, a centaur is born. For the next year, Arianne's family raise the centaur.

The story is mostly told from Arianne's point of view but the other characters are also beautifully written. Arianne's little brother, Robbie, is in a wheelchair. Robbie is a thalidomide baby. Through his help, Robbie makes sure everyone sees the centaur as a person, not a thing or a monster. Yolen creates this very realistic family and gives this magic. Each character brings something different to the story and the centaur brings something different out of them.

Centaur Rising is beautifully told story. Yolen creates such magic that it's hard to put down. I can't wait to read more of her books. Others who shared their thoughts on Centaur Rising: When Loose Ends Meet, Megan Likes Books, and Rebecca Reads.

1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.