Saturday, April 13, 2013

Weekend Cooking: The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater

I added The Kitchen Diaries to my library queue after reading about it on Cooking with Amy. I definitely want to cook more seasonally and this book is devoted to that.
The Kitchen Diaries follows a year of Nigel's life. All the meals are what he ate the day he writes about them. I had no idea who Nigel was at the time of getting the book. Nigel Slater is a British food writer and he hosts food cooking shows primarily in England. The recipes in The Kitchen Diaries vary between fussy and this is what was in the cupboard. I mainly read March and April and leafed through the rest of the year. I saw some foods I'll want to make when the time is right. The Kitchen Diaries will wind up on my cookbook shelf at some point.
I decided I wanted to try my hand at one of his recipes. I selected the Mustard Lamb Chops. I don't cook lamb often. In fact, I think the last time I had lamb was 2 or 3 years ago. Tai loves lamb but I don't often come across recipes for it. But I decided this was the perfect time to make lamb.
The recipe is incredibly easy. Mix coarse mustard with minced garlic, the juice of a lemon, and olive oil. Stir til a thick paste is formed. Marinated the chops for a hour or two. Broil for 5 minutes on both sides. The meat should still be pretty pink inside but let it rest for 5 minutes and it will come up to medium/medium-rare.
Serve with a lemon wedge. I served it with roasted asparagus but could be served with almost any other veggie.
The Mustard Lamb Chops were a hit with my family. In fact, it's been requested that I make lamb more often. Slater had 2 other lamb dishes (one with feta) that I'd love to try.

Have your tried any of Slater's recipes?
What's your favorite way to prepare lamb?



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

7 comments:

  1. I love lamb...but never cook it. I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never cooked with lamb -- but that sure looks good!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. We buy a whole lamb every year so lamb is our main meat -- we just love it. I've been thinking of getting this cookbook and you've convinced me to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adding this to my library queue - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beautiful cover on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This chef is new to me. Lamb is a rare treat here as i am not familiar cooking it but do enjoy the flavour. I eat it frequently when I visit New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves lamb but I've never had it!! This looks delicious and not hard at all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.