Tuesday, April 30, 2013

White Jacket Required by Jenna Weber

This is such a hard review for me to write. I picked up White Jacket Required because I enjoy Jenna's blog, Eat, Live, Run. But I just wasn't a fan of White Jacket Required.
After Jenna graduates from college, she struggles to find a job. After a conversation with her mother, Jenna decides to enroll in culinary school. But culinary school isn't something she enjoys so she switches to the baking program. In the baking program, Jenna hits her stride and decides to find something allowing her to combine her love of food and writing.
One of the reasons I read Eat, Live, Run is because Jenna is so laid back and she loves to share her enthusiasm for food. I found none of that Jenna in White Jacket Required. I found Jenna to be judge-y.  She talks about how she enjoys real food, not junk food. She seemed disdainful to her peers with eating disorders and weight problems. I had a hard time reading White Jacket Required because I didn't connect with Jenna at all. Worse, I felt bad for disliking her when the tragic accident occurs. I didn't feel like I could write a review where I said I didn't like her book. But there I said it.
There are recipes at the end of each chapter and I look forward to making her Lemon Brown Sugar Chicken and the Linguine with Escarole and Brie. I'll continue to read her blog since I've enjoyed it. But I no longer feel that connect to her that I used to feel. Others who shared their thoughts on White Jacket Required: Foodigen, The Barefoot Ballerina, Two Eat Philly, and Bake at 350ยบ.

1 comment:

  1. Even though it was hard for you, I'm glad that you just put your true feelings out there. Many of us are overweight for a variety of reasons and not all of them are because we just eat junk.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.