Saturday, April 20, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Linda's Stuffed Flank Steak

There are probably thousands of stuffed flank recipes. But I've come up with 2 combos that we really enjoy. First I love this recipe. It's completely easy, very little prep time, and once it's in the oven, you can do something else til it's ready!
I've made it two different ways:
 With artichoke hearts.
With roasted red peppers.
Everything else is the same except in one I used peppers and the other I used artichoke hearts.

Linda's Stuffed Flank Steak

1 1/2 lb flank steak (flap steak would also work)
2 tbs minced garlic or garlic paste
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 cup  baby spinach or 2 handfuls
1/4 cup diced marinated artichoke hearts OR 6 sliced roasted red peppers
1/4  cup of the marinade from either the artichokes or the peppers
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400ยบ. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Lay flank steak on the baking sheet. Salt and pepper both sides. My flank steaks come sort of rolled in the package. I lay the less curled side down. Since the meat is already starting to roll, it seems easier to work with it like that.
Spread garlic. I like to use Gourmet Garden's Chunky Garlic Paste. Makes my life easier. Then layer feta cheese. Next a layer of the spinach, then either the diced artichoke hearts or the roasted red peppers. Roll up meat and secure with toothpicks.
Some of the filling will fall out. Stuff it back in or pile it on top like the first photo. Cover the meat loosely with foil and bake for 45-65 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of the meat and the doneness you prefer.
I serve it with lemon quinoa (prepare quinoa as package directs, before serving add 2 tbs of lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon, stir and serve).

I've made it several times and always gets rave reviews.

Do you have a favorite stuffed flank steak recipe?




Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

11 comments:

  1. I believe I'm sold to your pepper version - it has all the ingredients I want and I have ... pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made stuffed flank steak, but your version looks something my family would love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, this is such a good idea. I am going to do it today! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing!! Does it come out tender???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flank steak and usually marinate it and grill it, but this looks so easy, pretty, and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw another recipe for stuffed flank steak today...I see flank steak in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried making stuffed flank steak, but your recipe is a very good reason to start making it! Both versions sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pining this one because I can never find a stuffed flank steak recipe that doesn't involve stuffing it full of carbs. Thanks!

    I'll make it as soon as I get my kitchen back.

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely! I would like the roasted red pepper one. I have pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! And if I made it I'm not sure which one I'd choose, but definitely think it could with with both artichokes and bell peppers, right?

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.