Monday, August 18, 2008

Fat, Sugar and Alcohol at Opal

As a new feature, I'm going to "review" the resturants we go to here in the Seattle area. I'll of course review any if we go on any trips.
Once a month (sometimes twice a month) I meet Marta and Ashley and we try a new restaurant. Last week we tried Opal.

They have a small plate menu so we choose 6 different dishes. First to come out was the heirloom tomatoes/watermelon dish and the olive/marcona almond dish. The heirloom tomatoes with the watermelon was a refreshing treat. Marcona almonds (not at all like regular almonds) were lovely. Especially soaked in the olive oil.
Next was the best part. we ordered the steak tartar and the quail. The steak tartar came with a horseradish salad and fried bone marrow. I didn't need to know you could fry bone marrow. I was the only one who tried that delightful bite of bone marrow and let me tell you it was yummy. Especially with the steak and horseradish. All the fat and yummy goodness. And speaking of yummy fat the quail came with foie gras! More yummy fat. Such a low cholestol meal! Both of those dishes had to be my favorites.
The next course was a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. I know what is this "regular" plate doing at such a fancy place? Well this was my least favorite. The cheese wasn't all the way melted, but the soup was yummy.
For dessert, I had the chocolate pot de creme with pistashio ice cream. It was a very decadent treat. Ashley and Marta had the popcorn ice cream. I didn't have a bite but both of them seemed to like it.
I left full which was a good thing. My part of the bill (with a glass of red wine) was $45. A little expensive but not bad for a night out with the girls. I would recommend it for a night out with friends or a special dinner. They could accomidate groups easily. We arrived at 7pm on Thursday night and didn't wait at all for a table. But it did pick up around 8ish though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.