Friday, September 7, 2012

Fry Day: Deep Fried Twinkies

About 3 months ago I mentioned that we bought a deep fryer. In those three months we've used it three times. But this is the first time I've actually taken pictures of what we made. Frying is a pain in the ass so I made a whole bunch of stuff. But I'm showing you one item at a time. Gotta make these posts last :)
So Tai and I had a deep fried twinkie at the fair a few years ago. Neither of us were impressed but Tai wanted me to try to make a deep fried twinkie at home. The problem was creating the batter. The twinkie at the fair was just batter so we wanted to find something better. I searched for some recipes hoping to find a better solution and stumbled on a recipe for deep fried oreos. I liked the batter which was just pancake batter. The result was delicious. Way better than what we had the fair.

Deep Fried Twinkie
adapted from Group Recipes recipe for deep fried oreos

10 twinkies
2 cups of pancake mix
1 1/2 cups of milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
oil for frying

Freeze the twinkies overnight. Heat oil to 350. Mix the pancake mix with the milk til smooth. Dip twinkies in batter and try to cover them. Mine didn't stay covered really well and I had to kind of smooth the batter over the twinkie. If you have some bare spots don't worry. I did and the batter puffed up when fried. They fry up very quickly, only a few minutes on each side. Once fried drain on paper towels. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered how they made that. Thanks for solving that mystery for me! Your fried twinkies sound like a special treat!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.