Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Confidental

Over the weekend I went through my pile of bills and other financially related junk. I put everything that had to be shredded aside-2 paper bags worth! Those 2 bags were just my stuff, some stuff dating back to 2002. My little bill closet looks so much neater now.
In going though that stuff I found some stuff that shouldn't have been laying around in a stack of paper! And it got me thinking what things do I need to really worry about? My social security card, marriage licence, birth certificates are should be kept somewhere safe. Worried about identity theft? The FTC has a great list of ways to protect yourself.
But what should I shred and what do I need to keep? And how long should I keep something? I keep most things for a year but perhaps I should rethink that. And this list of things to shred from the Washington State Attorney General even says you should shred plane ticket information. I usually toss mine in the recycling after I'm done using it as a book mark!
I'm starting this year a little lighter on paper. Perhaps this weekend I'll work on Tai's pile!

2 comments:

  1. This is something I need to do badly. I dread it. I am thinking once my taxes are done this year, I am going to get on it.
    Good for you for getting this done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this, also. My paper stacks are huge. I didn't know I was supposed to shred my plane tickets, I always save them as a kind of memory of my trips. I love using the shredder, there is something therapeutic about it!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.