Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rebuilding New Orleans

I adore New Orleans. I've only been there a couple of times but it left a lasting impression on me. I haven't been since Katrina and since my experience with Ike, I can say I have new appreciation for NOLA.

I happened to be wandering around on the internet and found some pictures of the houses that are being built in New Orleans by the Make It Right Foundation run by Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie. I guess they opened the first newly built homes earlier this month. And wow, these homes are awesome.
These 2 are my favorites (All stolen from Make It Right's Website):
I love how the "garage" is under the house. Also helps in case another flood occurs. If this house was on my block, it would take me forever to get used to it.
But it's not all tilted inside! How cool is that. I love this house. Again there is a "garage" underneath.
All the houses were built by international teams of designers designed to be suited to the community and regional needs. Definitely check out their website and see which one is your favorite!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, now those are some cool houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just makes me sad. New Orleans is like my 2nd home, since it's my mom's hometown and I grew up going to visit my grandparents there all the time. I think it's admirable that they're trying to rebuild the city, and they're making houses that are "green" and eco-friendly, but it's basically destroying the whole culture of New Orleans-style architecture. New Orleans used to be full of old Victorian houses with turrets and huge wraparound porches. Now they're being interspersed with these new modern houses, and it just seems... disjointed or something. I don't know. I know *something* has to be done post-Katrina, and you can't rebuild a 200 year-old house exactly like it was, but it bums me out all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love New Orleans too. It was so sad to watch all the devastation and destruction - it was even more so because we had been there just a month before!

    I'm glad to see that these houses are finally being built, I've heard about them before. They're really cool houses, and it's great that they're helping out.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.