Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In Love with A Slow Cooker

I received a slow cooker as a wedding gift. I really wanted one. Tai was less impressed. He isn't not a huge fan of stews and pot roast. So I decided to be creative and come up with other recipes.
In the October issue of Real Simple (who else loves this magazine?), I found a recipe for Asian Short Ribs. I dumped all the ingredients in the slow cooker before work one day, turn on the heat and left for the day. Tai usually leaves way later than I do so I checked with him before he left the house. Tai confirmed that the slow cooker was doing it's job and the food smelled yummy!
When I got home (11 hours later!), everything was prefectly cooked. I put the cooker on warm til Tai got home later that night.
Here's our first slow cooked meal:I wasn't a huge fan of the cabbage. I don't think 11 hours in a slow cooker improves the taste of cabbage so I might omit it next time or add it later. But the meat was falling off the bone, so tender! I didn't thicken the sauce enough but it was totally yummy anyway.
I made another dish with my beloved slow cooker since I'm addicted to using it. This is another recipe I made up on my own.

Pork Carnitas

4 lbs of pork shoulder (pork roast works too)
1 jar of your favorite salsa
3 cups of chicken stock

Toss all the ingredients in the slow cooker for 6 hours on low. Once the pork is cooked, take it out to cool. Once the meat is cool enough to handle shred the meat. Heat 1"-3" of oil (olive, peanut, or canola) in a pan. Once the oil is warm add shredded meat. Fry meat in oil, turning to get pieces crispy.
After the meat is cooked, drain meat from oil and serve with garnish (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and avocado are all good options) and tortillas.You could also skip the frying step and use the pork for burritos, tacos, etc.
Any good slow cooker recipes you like?

7 comments:

  1. I'm not so crazy about pot roast either, but I have kinda made a simple one with mushrooms that helps to sort of balance out the pot roast flavor.

    The slow cooker makes meals much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the slow cooker was one of the best kitchen inventions ever! We used ours at least 3 times a month! In fact I used my yesterday and will use it again tomorrow!

    YUMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you post the recipe for the ribs?? They sound delicious!

    I love the slow-cooker too!! And, bonus, we love pot roast!! ;-) I have to admit, though, I haven't been as adventurous with it as I should. I will have to try some new recipes. The pork sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love slow cookers and love Real Simple even more! i'll be doing a few RS recipes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com. This gal is cooking in her crockpot everyday for a year! Some stuff looks too adventurous for me, but you seem to like it that way! :o) I made her apple butter recipe for my first use of my new wedding gift and it was faaaaantastic!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently making John McCain's ribs from Year of Crockpotting site! Will let you know how they are!! She has Barack's Chili recipe too, which looks good, but the ribs are much simpler! Plus, it's still in the 70's here in TN, so not cold enough for me to want chili right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ribs were fantastic!! Definitely a keeper recipe! I didn't put as much lemon juice as suggested because it just seemed like they were completely covered after using one lemon, but I guess a lot of it dripped off during cooking because we could really only taste it on the sides of the ribs! They were still great and one of the easiest things ever!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.