Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lemon Sole and Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I had the good fortune of finding some good sole on sale. Plus I had brussel sprouts that I bought over the weekend. I'm odd cause I love brussel sprouts. I'm being trying to tempt Tai but he was pretty anti-brussel sprout. I figured that I would try to get him to eat some but the bulk of them would be mine (all mine!). Neither of these are really recipes but more things I know how to throw together.

Lemon Sole
I think this recipe actually was in a Real Simple magazine but I memorized it so I can't be sure. I took pictures but it was just a lump of white. I didn't think that would make you want to try it.

1 lb of sole
4 tsp of butter (I used Earth Balance)
4 Tbsp of lemon juice (from the bottle is fine)
1/2 cup of all purpose flour-plus some for thickening

Melt two tsp of butter in a nonstick pan over low-medium heat. Lightly coat both sides of the fish with flour. Once butter has melted add fish. Don't crowd the pan. You may have to do this in parts, taking out some fish and adding more. Lightly fry each side of the sole. Sole is extremely delicate so pieces may seperate so try to be careful to keep each piece intact (but don't worry if they break apart).
Once all the fish is cooked, melt the remaining 2 tsps of butter in the pan. Once the butter melts add the 4 Tbsp of lemon juice. Heat for a minute til juice is warm, but not boiling. Turn down heat to a simmer. Add flour to thicken and whisk to thicken. I start with a little flour and add as I go. Pour sauce on top of fish and serve.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 lb of brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Coat brussel sprouts with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast in 400° oven for 40 minutes. I like them al dente. If you want them softer cook them a little longer. Tai loved them. he actually ate more than I thought he would. Yea! I coverted my hubby to being a brussel sprout liker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.